Grading Info

DAN gradings take place at various times throughout the year after a JKA England National or International course - on average there are 4 DAN gradings per year. Usually there are two National and two International courses. The former at locations around the UK and the latter are currently held at the K2 Leisure Centre in Crawley.

Karateka can take up to and including 5th DAN in this country. Students grading for Shodan (1st DAN) must pass an Assessment prior to attending the grading. All karateka attempting a DAN grading must have the written permission of the Chief Instructor.

General info
As of 1st January 2010, the new grading fees for DAN grades came into effect together with changes associated with the grading.

1st DAN Full £40
Second attempt* £35
1st DAN Full £45
Second attempt* £40
2nd DAN Full £40
Second attempt* £35
2nd DAN Full £45
Second attempt* £40
3rd DAN Full £40
Second attempt* £35
3rd DAN Full £45
Second attempt* £40
4th DAN Full £45
Second attempt* £50
4th DAN N/A
5th DAN Full £45
Second attempt* £50
5th DAN N/A
* For those who take a Dan grading and achieve only a partial pass with permission to take either Kata or Kumite only next time, the new regulation requires that this condition of taking just kata or kumite will apply once only. Therefore if you do not succeed at the following grading, you will have to take the full grading again on the next occasion.

There are also DAN registration fees to be paid on the day should you be successful in passing your grading.

Shodan Assessments

DAN Registration Fees

Browse the Frequently Asked Questions below and click for the answer.

When will I be eligible to take Shodan?

Do I need to go on a course?

What is a Shodan Assessment?

Why do I need to take an assessment?

When and where will the assessment take place?

Are there a minimum number of lessons I have to attend?

What documentation will I need?

How much will it cost?

How and when do I pay?

When will I get my certificate?

What's next?

If you need any further information or if your question has not been answered, please contact us via the online email form.